Sunday, August 10, 2014

Winged Messengers and Spirit Guides

Posted by: PG Forte
Sometimes I forget how magical life can be. Then I have a week like this last one.

While I often find it hard to pinpoint the exact moment when I've fallen down the rabbit hole, in this case it was easy--at least in retrospect. I'd taken one of those pointless quizzes Facebook seems so fond of. This one was supposed to help me find my spirit animal. Yeah, right. Like I need a quiz for that! The answer I got was Deer.  Which was so not what I was expecting!

Let me just say for the record that there's nothing at all wrong with deer. I love deer. They're beautiful animals. I once lived in a house where deer wandered through the yard nearly every day. It never got old. But as a spirit animal? It's just not me. Practically the only time I ever connected with deer on a spiritual level was about ten years ago. I was living in Florida and I took a class, led by a Native American/Hawaiian Shaman (for lack of a better term) that was designed to help you identify which totem animal was associated with each of your chakras. From Root to Crown I got Bat, Cat, Deer, Monkey, Dragonfly, Owl and Spider.

Ten years. Three thousand miles. Not a whisper about Deer in all that time. And now?

"There is beauty in your third chakra. Serge wanted you to know!"  

That's the text message I received later that same day from Mary, a friend of mine who still lives in Florida. Third chakra. Deer. Hmmm. Suddenly, things are starting to make sense to me because Serge was the teacher whose class I'd taken all those years ago.  He's dead now, but apparently he's keeping up with Facebook all the same.

So I call Mary, of course, and ask her about this message, but she doesn't know anything more than what she wrote in her text. One thing I should probably mention about Mary, at this point, is that whenever the two of us get together this kind of weird shit starts to happen. I keep saying I need to put it all in a book, but so far I haven't yet gotten around to it. In any case, I probably shouldn't have been so surprised by what happened next.

TWO DAYS LATER. It's 8:30 in the morning and I'm in my kitchen making coffee when I happen to look out the window. I'm stunned to see a hawk perched on my deck's railing, staring right at me. I've lived here for two-and-a-half years and I've seen plenty of hawks circling overhead. Once, I even saw one perched in a tree on the hill behind the house. But I've NEVER seen one come this close before. 

As I watch, the hawk lifts into the air and flies across the deck...straight through the open French doors and into my living room. He then proceeds to circle the room before flying back out the door and across the deck before perching on the railing again. This time he's even closer. He's perched directly across from the kitchen window, just a few feet away from where I'm still standing frozen in surprise.  We stare at each other for another few moments before he very deliberately turns himself around and finally flies off--back the way he came. I've been trying to work out what it all means ever since. 

Hawk is a messenger. He helps you see things clearly. And, apparently, once he shows up as a totem, he's with you for life. Unlike some other fickle spirit animals I could name. *cough* Deer *cough*

After giving the matter some thought, I think I know what the "message" is. See, the doors had been left open that morning because we're in the middle of a fairly radical "Spring cleaning". We're getting rid of a bunch of stuff we no longer need and my husband had been moving some of them out of the house through the back door. The fact that the hawk flew around the living room in a counter-clockwise direction is important because, that's the direction you take if you're clearing out old energy. So clearly he was helping facilitate our clearing out.

When he finally left, he flew off into the West--the direction of wisdom and healing, as well as the ancestors. It's also the direction in which we'll likely be moving.

I have to say, it's kind of going to extremes to do all that just to say, "you're doing it right" but Serge was a Leo, after all, and they just have to be dramatic! 

* * * * *

Visions Before Midnight is a book that might not have been written if I hadn't met Serge. I was worried about it being inappropriate. I was leery of falling into the "Magical Indian" trap. I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

My hero, Chay, is irreverent and, often, deeply inappropriate. He's hot, gorgeous, talented, smart, funny, beautiful, did I say hot? And, yes, he's part Native American and occasionally very magical. But, hey, this is paranormal! Practically everyone in the book is magical! 

Serge convinced me to go ahead with it all the same. I'll always be very grateful to him for that.

Chay Johnson is a traditional man; and the educator, flute maker, apprentice shaman has a lot of traditions to uphold, especially when it comes to choosing a life mate.

 Erin Allridge is a modern woman, with modern ideas about relationships and a painful personal history she has no intention of repeating.

 When terror and tragedy strike the small town of Oberon, the pair are forced to re-think their visions for the future.

In this world of form and spirit it can be hard to find balance and harmony, but sometimes, particularly when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest, love can find a way to bridge the gap. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...